It's SOUP SEASON!!
For the last few weeks my kids have been requesting Homemade Tomato Soup. Today seems like a good day to oblige them. If you're a novice to soup making, tomato may be the easiest place to start. It's really quite simple and can be made start to finish in less than hour. Or if you're like me, you can throw everything in the slow cooker and let it do its thing all day while you do your's.
Tomato Soup - *Sugar-free
Serves 8 - 10. (Can be canned or frozen too)
9 cups of tomatoes (skinned) or 3 large (28oz) cans of crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 medium onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
5 sprigs fresh parsley
1 carrot, pealed and chopped
1 tsp salt (omit if using canned tomatoes)
black pepper to taste
1. Place all ingredients in stock pot over medium-high heat. Stirring frequently, cook until vegetables are tender. (About 30 - 45 min) **Or place ingredients in slow cooker on low heat for several hours until veggies are tender.
2. Run cooked mixture through food processor or blender and return to low heat until ready to serve.
- Top with sour cream, cooked bacon, or shredded cheese
- Couple with grilled cheese sandwiches. (Our personal favorite)
- Use as a base for soups like pasta fagiolli or minestrone.