Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sugar-free Whole Wheat Bread

"Hello. My name is Stephanie and I'm a sugar addict." 

Many of you may already know this about me but I REALLY am a sugar addict. Not so much in the form of candy, and definitely not from soda, but baked goods and ice cream are my vice. I could start my day with a cupcake and end it with a hot fudge sundae and not feel the least bit guilty about it. And white bread.... mmmmm, fabulous white bread!!! The problem is, a body might find a way to survive on all that sugar, but it cannot thrive - and it certainly can't perform at optimal levels. 

So, I've done what no one ever thought I could do: for the last 10 days (hey, don't laugh at my baby steps!) I've been sugar and refined carb free. Yesterday, however, I really wanted some bread (FYI: every loaf of store bought bread I could find - whole wheat or otherwise - has sugar in it), so I decided to make my own. 

I modge-podged a few recipes together and this is what I came up with:
Who knew sugar-free whole wheat could be sooooo good! 
Ingredients: 
6 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tbs yeast
2 tsp whole wheat flour
1/4 c. + 1 Tbs unsweetened apple juice concentrate (frozen)
1/2 c. warm water
2 c. warm water 
1/4 canola oil
2 tsp salt


1. Sift 6 cups whole wheat flour into a large bowl. 
2. In small bowl mix together 2 Tbs yeast and 2 tsp whole wheat flour. 
3. Place apple juice concentrate and 1/2 c. water in microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Gently pour over yeast/flour blend and allow to rest for 10 minutes. 
4. In a large bowl (or Kitchenaid/Bosch mixer with dough hook) combine 2 c. warm water (about 120* F), 1/4 canola oil, and salt. 
5. Add 2 cups of wheat flour to the water/oil mixture and stir on medium speed for 30 seconds (about 20 times if you are stirring by hand.) 
6. Add the yeast mixture and blend at medium speed for 30 seconds. Add another 1 cup of flour and stir at medium speed for 1 minute. (50 stirs by hand) 
7. Slowly incorporate the rest of the flour at low/kneading speed. Knead with machine for 7-8 minutes (or by hand for 10 minutes.) Be sure to work it until it is smooth and elasticy. Leave in bowl, cover with towel and let rest for 35 minutes. 
8.  Oil two 9x5 loaf pans.
9. With a little flour on your fingers, cut dough in half and GENTLY shape into 2 loaves. Do not punch dough down! Place in pans, lightly brush with oil, cover, and let rise for 40 minutes. 
10. Preheat oven to 350*F.  Uncover loaves and bake for 45-48 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. 
11. Place on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before serving. ENJOY!!



It turned out great, and even more importantly, my KIDS LOVED IT!!! We'll be making this one of our staple recipes for sure. Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. This looks YUM!!! Wish I had a slice right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try this. I'm a sugar freak too, but LOVE bread. If this is as good as it sounds, I will be happy (and healthy too--a new one for me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for giving up your addiction foods for 10+ days. For those for whom this is no joke and cannot so easily put them down, there is a 12 step program for food addiction. Overeaters Anonymous has enabled my freedom from compulsive overeating and food addiction. I've been sugar and refined flour free for 8 years now. Just adding this comment in the hopes it may help someone struggling with food addiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this. Trying to be sugar- and flour-free in OA. I suspect that even whole wheat flour may not be good for me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...