Friday, December 6, 2013

Favorite [Nontraditional] Christmas Songs

Welcome to this week's Friday Five. If you are new here, Friday Five is nothing more than a short (hahaha) list of five random(ish) things. They might be favorites, thankfuls, pet peeves, or frankly whatever else strikes me on any given Friday. 

In honor of my FAVORITE holiday, for the month of December all my Friday Five posts will have a little something to do with Christmas. Today I think I will tackle the ever popular topic of... (dun, da, da, dun!)... Favorite Nontraditional Christmas Songs! 

In no particular order  - and with no particular logic, here are a few of the songs that put a festive swing in my step and a smile on my face. (You can listen to them by clicking on the song title.) 

1. Christmas Cookies  by George Strait. -  Mmm. Cookies! And smiles. A little twangy, I know, but I just can't listen to this without grinning: 
"Those sprinkly things just make things worse 
cause it makes 'em taste better than they did at first 
and it just makes 'em impossible to resist." 
.... and my fav line: 
"Now there's a benefit to all of this, 
that you might have overlooked or missed, 
so now let me tell you the best part of it all. 
Everytime she sticks another batch in the oven, 
there's fifteen minutes for some kissin' and some huggin'!" 

2. Mary Did You Know by Donny Osmond.  - I know a lot of artist have recorded this song. This is my favorite version, however, I kind of like this one by Cee Lo Green too. 

3. Thank God for Kids by the Oakridge Boys. - Pure nostalgia. I grew up with this song. I particularly remember hearing it on the car radio as my dad would drive us to check out the lights on "Christmas Street" each year. Every time I hear it, it takes me back to the fabulousness of my childhood Christmases.    

4. Stille Nacht (Silent Night) by the Dresdner Kreuzkor -My mother's family has passed many old German traditions down for generations. Being proud of my heritage, I purchased a CD by the Dresdner Kreuzkor many, many moons ago. Though my children don't understand most of the lyrics (yeah, I failed to teach my children a lick of the German language. Still kicking myself, but that's off subject...), we play this CD several times throughout the Christmas season. When my daughter was about 8, while decorating the Christmas tree, she threw the tree-skirt over her shoulders like a shawl, clasped her hands opera-style in front of her, and pretended to serenade us from atop the coffee table. Can't listen to this CD without reliving that priceless moment!

5. All I Want for Christmas is You  by Michael Buble - What can I say? I'm a romantic. Who doesn't love this song? And by Buble? Come on!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...