Friday, March 7, 2014

I'm an AUTHOR, and 7 other things you might not know about me

I consider myself a pretty open book. I don't really harbor any secrets and I'm generally forthcoming when someone asks me a question, so it always catches me off guard when someone I've known for a while doesn't know something pretty major about me... like, for instance, the fact that I write. And, more specifically, that I am a published author.

Crazy, right? I mean, I try not to be that pushy, in-your-face marketer, but I assumed the "author" badge I stapled to my forehead was a pretty good sign. Haha. Just kidding... But really, do they make such a sign? Maybe I should get one. Sharp metal in my forehead sounds more pleasant than marketing.

Anyway, back to the "open book" thing. After a friend said to me the other day, "What? You wrote a book?" (actually, I've got 3 now, but who's counting...), it got me thinking. What else do I assume people know about me but maybe they don't?  I came up with a list of 8 things - and believe me, it was work!

Let's start with the one I already mentioned:
1. I am an author -  I started writing about 6 years ago. I currently have three books published. (Which, for the record is 3 more than I ever thought I would.) I have two novels, Hope's Journey & All the Finer Things.  And one non-fiction, Everything You Need to Know About Girls Camp.


        

2. I love shoes - For clarification, I don't love WEARING shoes so much as I love COLLECTING them. And, for a bare-foot kind of girl, I have quite the collection! My favorites are my boots... or maybe my sandals... or what about those sassy polka-dot pumps? Picking a favorite would be like picking a favorite child. I love them all. However, unlike my children, I'm sure there are many more new shoes in my future. 

3.I love mud! -  I don't mind a little dirt under my nails or caked to my knees... under my own terms, of course. The first place I run when I need to relax is to my garden. The second place is out on my four-wheeler. My daughter and I are known for finding the big mud puddles on our adventures - and for hitting the good ones more than once! There's just something about mud, and sunshine, and fresh air that make this girl happy. Any day outside is a good day. 

4. My biggest fear is drowning... and yet, we own a boat. - Go figure. Actually, if you ask my family, they will tell you that I am quite full of paranoia and anxieties. I'll admit to a few of them:  Atychiphobia (fear of failure), Claustrophobia (fear of suffocation), fear of other people's driving (really, this is a fear of not being in control. Needless to say, I can be a jumpy passenger.)

 5. My favorite smells are fresh-cut wood and wet paint. - New construction is my favorite! What can I say, building is in my blood. 

6. I don't like cheese, hamburgers, fried chicken, or soda pop. -  It's okay, I'm okay with it. And, its not that I won't eat these things (except fried chicken, gag!), I just don't like them. 

7. I met my husband when I was 14 - And only one of us fit the stereotype of a novelist... and it wasn't me. As it turns out, all authors aren't introverts, or quiet, or even intensely thoughtful. Some of them, on the contrary, can be quite extroverted, loud, and opinionated. Surprise! (BTW - my cute hubby technically was published before me but his work is all that technical mumbo-jumbo kind of stuff. He does, however, have an itch to write a novel just waiting to be scratched. Maybe I'll help him along.) 

8. I had 4 kids by the time I was 25 - Since I mentioned my kids up there under the "shoes" heading, I thought it'd be appropriate to share this most shocking tid-bit about them. I'm not shocked about it, but others usually seem to be. We had 4 kids in just under 8 years. Yeah, those were some crazy, sleepless years, but they were worth it. The best part is that by the time I'm 43, I technically could be an empty-nester...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...