Saturday, October 22, 2011

Interview with Mandi Tucker Slack - Author of The Alias


Click here to read the first chapter
Decidedly one of the biggest perks about being an author, is getting to meet other authors. I'm kind of a dork about "celebrity" in that I could care less about movie stars,TV personalities, and even (most) politicians, but give me a good author - and especially  one whose book I read before even imagining that I'd get to meet her - and I'm in heaven.
That's exactly what happened with The Alias. I picked up the book, drawn to it initially by it's amazing cover (figure that, a cityscape grabbing my attention... weird, right?)  Then there was the story. Amazing! Just the kind of book I love! Romance, suspense, relatable characters. It sucked me in right from the start -which if you know me well you know is a good thing. A book has two or three chapters to hook my attention, and The Alias did just that. Once Jacey was on the run, I couldn't put it down. The story pulled me along right to the end with anticipation for what I thought (and hoped) was coming. And then there's that fun element of reading about familiar places! If you're looking for a quick-flowing, down-to-earth, suspenseful read, I recommend The Alias.


Off the back cover: Jacey Grayson is an average, young, divorced mother struggling to build a new life for her son, Blaze. But when the FBI discloses some disturbing information about her ex-husband, Jacey’s life becomes anything but average. At the risk of losing her identity, her future, and her heart, Jacey and Blaze flee to Utah, hoping to hide and start over once again. But no matter how far she runs or who she pretends to be, her past is always lurking nearby, bringing old fears with it. 

Mandi Tucker Slack

And now it's time to meet Mandi!
Steph: Where did the concept for the Alias come from? 

Mandi:To be honest, the idea for The Alias came after visiting with a close friend who was pursuing a divorce at the time. She was leaving behind an emotionally and physically abusive husband. I was touched by the amount of strength and courage it would take to leave behind a marriage like that and build a new life for yourself and your child(ren).

Steph: Who is your favorite character in the Alias and why?

Mandi: Uncle Grant. He was a conglomeration of my dad, both my grandfathers and my uncles. I grew up in a small town surrounded by cowboys who wore Stetson and loved farm life. I had fun building his character.

Steph: What inspired you to become an author? Is it something you've always wanted to do or did you have a different plan for your life?

Mandi: I have always wanted to be an author. When I was a young girl I devoured books and I loved the concept of building my own adventures and creating fun, inspiring stories. I didn’t pursue writing as a career, however. I went to University and received a degree in Special Education. I loved to teach, but I also knew I wanted to be published one day, so I just wrote stories in my free time and kept at it. 

Steph: How do you spend your time when you're not writing? 

Mandi: When I’m not writing, I’m a stay-at-home mom, but I love to rock hound or hike with my family. We love the outdoors and spending time together while we visit new places.

Steph: Where is your favorite place to write? Do you have any weird rituals when you write?

Mandi: At the park while my kids play. I love being outside, but when I can’t manage to get to the park, I write sitting cross-legged on my living room floor. I’ve always been a “floor sitter”. I built a pillow desk thingy that I use to support my laptop or I write out story lines on notebooks, and I have all sorts of strange rituals!! I love to eat muffins or munch on Sugar Babies while I write and I always like to listen to music before I get into the heart of writing too. Music is my muse. It’s what I use to create the particular mood I’m trying to convey for any given scene. I just scroll through my ipod or my playlists until the right sort of song comes on and I listen. I usually don’t like to write while I listen to music, however. It’s too distracting. I like quiet with some background noise.

I've loved getting to know a little bit about Mandi and can't wait to read more of her work. To learn more about Mandi and for links to purchase The Alias, visit her website here. And, don't forget to check out the trailer for The Alias. 


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...