In case the cooler nights and changing vegetation wasn't clue enough, the new line up on TV is a pretty sure sign that Fall is upon us. Now, I'm not a lover of Fall nor am I a huge follower of TV programming, but there are a few shows that I enjoy. So, in honor of the changing leaves, today's Friday Five is a list of the top 5 shows I like to watch. (And, unlike most of my other Friday lists, this one is in order of my favorites!):
5. This is a toss up between Property Brothers and Income Property, both of which air on HGTV and are about designing, renovating, and ultimately creating diamonds out of rough real estate. I dream of someday doing a little real estate dabbling of my own, but in the mean time, I'll just have to settle for watching these three men do it... And, as a little bonus, the hosts aren't too bad to look at either.
4. Hoarders - Now I'll admit this A&E show isn't for everyone. The premise is this: find hoarders and try to get them the help that they need to make their homes a healthy environment. We are not talking pack-rats here. These are full-blown, barely a path to crawl through, garbage on the floor, mold and mice and who-knows-whats, kind of homes. Gross? Yes. Fascinating? You have no idea. Part of my OCD is a need - and actually a love - for organizing. I'd love to crawl into one of those homes and clean it up. Crazy, I know.
3. Biggest Loser - To me, this is more than a show about weight loss. It's all about the power of the human spirit. We've watched it as a family for years. From healthy living to mentally conquering your setbacks, there are so many lessons to learn from it.
2. The Voice - If you haven't heard of the Voice, perhaps you've been living under a rock. What I like most about this show (besides the play between Blake Shelton and Adam Levine) is that unlike most singing/talent competitions, there are "coaches" rather than "judges." It's not about tearing people down but about lifting them up. I love how they have something positive to offer even the most struggling of performers.
1. American Pickers - Oh yeah! Pickin' through junk to find treasures. What can I say, I'm a junkie for junk, or as the trained eye calls it: vintage. One of my favorite episodes was when they stumbled upon an old cowboy with a collection of authentic Navajo stuff. They "picked" (purchased) an old, authentic, hand woven Navajo rug exactly like one I inherited from my husbands grandma! I thought it was a treasure before, but now I know what a gem it is and look forward to keeping it in the family for future generations.