Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Who Get's the 12th Doughnut? - A New Dynamic at Home

In a moment that probably won't earn me any "Mother of the Year" awards, I slid my slippered feet gracefully to the checkout. The accompanying fleece pajamas and oversized hoody seemed all too appropriate for my trip. What could be more fitting for an early morning doughnut run? I mean, come on, people, work with me here.

A dozen round gems in arms, I paid the cashier and made haste back to my car. This is the part of the story where I wish I could say I had enough self control to wait til I was back home to break open that box. Let's get real, they were fresh-baked. Warm! Need I say more? I did manage to keep the sticky glaze off my steering wheel. Small victories, right? *wink*

It didn't take long after getting those babies into the house to realize our problem. As it turns out, donuts come in dozens... and twelve doesn't divide very easily between five people. Quite the quandary we've been faced with. The absence of our 6th member seems to have caused a problem. What to do with the extra 2 donuts?

If I said this was the first time we've run into this problem, I would be a liar. Honestly, it's just part of the new dynamic at our home. From six down to five has been a tough adjustment at times. I can't count the number of times I've pulled six plates from the cupboard or thrown six burgers on the grill. I've even made an extra sandwich or two once or twice.

My thirteen year old and I decided to take one for the team this time around. Hopefully our bellies don't look too round from the extra intake of sugar. We will have to find a better way to address this problem in the future, but for now, know that the 11th and 12th donuts were well loved and enjoyed. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...