Sunday, November 11, 2012

30 Days of Gratitude: Day 11 - Heroes

In the early morning hours of Sept. 12, 2001, I restlessly lay in bed, angst ridden about the attacks on this land that I love. Never has my citizenship meant so much to me as it has since that now historic day. But it wasn't the images on TV or the influx of patriotism that touched me most...

As I prayed for peace and comfort in those quiet morning hours, reassurance swept over me in the form of a Black Hawk helicopter. Though they frequently fly over our area for training exercises, never before had one shaken our windows at 3:00 am. And, in those moments, that unexpected presences meant the world to me. I took comfort then - as I have every moment since - that I live in a country of freedom and security BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN IN UNIFORM.  Gratitude doesn't begin to encapsulate the feelings of debt and honor with which I have for our service men and women.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...